Sunday, October 7, 2007

Hula Hula



Today we had a luau to celebrate Drew's birthday. It was a long day but seemed to go well. It's hard being the hosts because it feels chaotic and stressful but people seemed relaxed and the kids had fun. Mark made some really good food: ahi sashimi, pulled pork sandwiches, potato salad, and a pretty fruit platter. I wanted to take a picture but it was gone before I could. I take that as a good sign. I planned 2 games for the kids: Hot Coconut and Pin the Fin on the Shark. I had to make the shark game because we couldn't find one in the stores. Peyton helped me and he was pretty proud of how it turned out. Thanks to my mom and Ann for frosting the cupcakes. I was determined to have them blue with palms trees on them so it looked like an island in the ocean. Then of course there was the pinata. The darn thing didn't want to break and while Luke was hitting the heck out of it the stick broke instead.



We didn't do presents until after everyone left but I wanted to say how proud I was of Peyton. All week he was worried because he didn't have a gift for Drew. It never occured to me that he would want to get her something on his own. So, I took him to the store and told him to pick out whatever he thought Drew would love. It was a dog that came in its carrier with food, water and etc. I made him pay for it with his own money which he didn't want to part with at first but he was so happy to give it to her. It was a good learning experience and he was happy to tell everyone that he bought it all by himself. He's a good boy with a good heart.





Riding her new trike-Thanks Connie!






Peyton taking his turn at the pinata





Grandma Ann and a sleepy Drew








2 comments:

Lillie said...

Ok the fact that I have a friend that serves Ahi Sashimi at a 2-year old's birthday part-- I think I've made it.

Happy Birthday Drew! How sweet to see Peyton care enough to buy her a gift- I can't wait to see the sibling love.

Lillie said...

I think I've "arrived". Is that the phrase I was looking for? You know what I mean.